Tuesday 16 December 2014

Are Left Liberals Influencing My Critique of Smriti Irani?

Following publication of my interview by Vrinda Gopinath in Scroll.in http://scroll.in/article/694110/Somebody-has-done-black-magic-on-Modi:-Madhu-Kishwar)  Niti Central had published an attack on me under the title: “Madhu Kishwar Sells Out to Left Liberals’. Within a day the title was changed to “Madhu Kishwar’s Attack on Smriti Irani Disgraceful”.

I am disappointed at this change because I was hoping Niti Central would tell me the names of left liberals who have purchased my loyalty so that I can at least go and claim the price they are supposed to have put on me. 

The writer makes it out as if I my criticism of Modi’s appointment of Smriti Irani as HRD minister is born out of personal angst. Firstly, I don’t have any history of association with Smriti Irani. My one and only brief interaction with her was in a TV studio more than 10 years ago when I took part in a panel discussion she anchored. Other than that I have never interacted with her. I do not inhabit the world she lives in nor does she have anything in common with my world. How can I be jealous of a person I don’t know?

Is it Niti Central’s case that all criticism is born out of jealousy? By that logic Modi must have been extremely jealous of Sonia and Rahul Gandhi because he tore them apart at every conceivable occasion.
I have also repeatedly criticized Modi’s choice of Jaitley as Finance Minister on a number of counts. Is it their case that I wanted to be Finance Minister, hence my criticism!

As Modi fans and followers, it should worry Niti Central that people within the BJP are no less upset at Modi having made such a questionable choice for the crucial HRD portfolio. It has given rise to the most unsavory rumors and surmises within the BJP.  They should actually thank me for not giving legitimacy or currency to those ugly rumors which bring credit neither to Modi nor to Smriti. I have instead focused only on the most obvious issues at hand:
a)      Her lacking the minimum qualifications required for leading the HRD ministry in a credible manner;
b)      Her lying on oath about her educational qualifications;
c)       Her general penchant for lying in order to dress up her credentials.
It is ironical that my having supported Modi at a time when very few even within BJP were willing to stand up for him is being used as a stick to beat me up with. I defended him against malicious attacks because I was convinced he was being unfairly targeted. But that does not mean I signed a lifelong slavery bond with Modi thereby surrendering my right to point out flaws in his decisions –as and when I notice that he is trampling upon the promises he made to the people of India.

I wonder if Niti Central realizes that when they allege that I am attacking Smriti Irani because I have been denied ‘rewards” by Modi or I wanted this portfolio for myself, they are suggesting that only self seeking people came to support Modi, that none came to support him out of conviction.

Let me say it for the Nth time, Modi owes me nothing just as I owe him nothing. My support for Modi as PM and my defense of him against Left-Congress attacks was born out of conviction. He neither offered me any quid pro quo nor did I ever expect anything in return.
My criticism of certain policies of Modi is likewise born out of conviction. Abusive attacks are not going to deter me from expressing my opinion in a fearless manner just as I remained steadfast in support of Modi despite left liberal attempts to defame me.

Modi does not have anything to give me which I could not have gotten on my own strength from the earlier regimes, had I so desired. 


5 comments :

  1. There is an inability to discuss issues on merit with our commentators. I am coining a phrase: 'dissent rage', analogous to 'road rage', indicating an impatience, a sense of entitlement possibly culminating in violence. So sad. Madhu do continue to dissect this whole business. As Arnab would say, 'the nation wants to know wtf'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your disagreement with Niti C. You and Niti C are both 'India first' supporters. Hence your support for Mr Modi. Madhu, carry on with your constructive support and critique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kya baat hai, Madhuji.

    Seems you have spoken for millions. Exactly the way I look at my loyalty towards only NaMo. It doesn't mean, by extension, I also need to bow to quite a few of his incompetent ministers primary one being Ms Irani.

    No doubt your powerful arguments against that anonymous (nameless author) shallow article, delivers a knockout punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Madam, you are exactly the kind of person we need in public space in this country who can speak truth without fear or favour. Thank you for being there! Samriti Irani's appointment as HRD Minister indeed reflects very badly on Modi Govt. Wish they would realise it soon enough to make amends! Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Madhuji, you have given your reasons why you don't want her as HRD Min.

    But which of her decisions made you feel she lacks credibility ?

    Wish you comment on
    DUVsUGC,
    CU reforms,
    new universities,
    JNU dons bruodht out of their dens
    New IITs, IIMs
    Xmas circular
    etc..

    Her Edn, Exp is a thing of the past, move beyond and suggest betterment of NCERT, UGC, JNU, CU etc. Be positive.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated only to censor profanity

Madhu Kishwar

Madhu Kishwar
इक उम्र असर होने तक… … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …اک عمر اثر ہونے تک